Sunday 18 April 2010

Nick Clegg is increasingly seen as an important alternative

Latest polls put Liberal Democrats ahead of Labour and just behind Conservatives. Latest polls put Liberal Democrats ahead of Labour and just behind Conservatives. I just need to repeat it to myself in case I haven't quite grasped it yet. Last Thursday's debate between the three leaders was genuinely interesting, but who could have predicted this outcome?

My vote is still in the balance but I had been leaning towards Liberal Democrats even before the televised debate. One of the reasons is a tax cut of £700.00 a year, which would equate to £58.33 a month extra for me. Great, that pays for my student loan repayments. And am I worried about the numbers and if they add up for the economy? Of course not - Vince Cable can worry about that.

The election has interested me since January, but now I believe that history is in the making. It does remain to be seen whether the Liberal Democrats leap can remain as high as it is, but rather than buckle under the added pressure, Nick Clegg seems to revel in it.

The Labour and Tory guns turn toward Liberal Democrats - well, more of a bunch of flowers in Labour's case - but neither tactic holds much conviction. The 'big society' idea seems to have cooled-off in recent days. It was idealistic and inspiring, but no one seems to 'get' it. Incomparable to the Barack Obama election.

The more I thought about the 'big society' the more I realised that money is the true resource of sharing. Letting communities decide in a vote how best to spend an allotted amount of tax money sounds real to me. Using the Internet to cast nationwide referendums on important laws or decisions facing the Government, that sounds to me like a bigger step towards a bigger society. Results could be broadcast along the media channels and give ministers a chance to explain their own thinking on public opinion.

Will Liberal Democrats be any different if they were to get into power and would they open up democracy even more in Britain? That remains to be seen, but if the latest opinion polls are anything to go by, Nick Clegg is increasingly seen as an important alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment